Sunday, July 16, 2006

Magic and Information

When I woke up today morning, i experienced a barrage of thoughts, entirely random but still had some common thread connecting to them. When I first decided that my blog space would have a central core theme of the travails of the human mind, I later thought that it might have been just an impulsive acton. But my intuition, which drove me to that decision proved right again today. After a hiatus, I am revisiting the theme again. The thread connecting today's thoughts was how the human mind treated magic and information. Magic is always relative to the human mind's extent of making inferences from the inputs it gets from the senses. I remember that the basic theme of the Matrix revolved around the mind. When Morpheus tells Neo, "Free your mind, and you will realize the truth" drove home the point. John Travolta in Swordfish says, " Mis-direction! What the eyes see, the ears here, the mind believes!". The first automobile was magic to those who hadnt known them before. When Sherlock Holmes says " I often feel my deductions are simple once I explain them, and so do others." MAgic is hiding the information, hiding the facts. Its magic for us because we dont know how it happened, while the magician knows how. Information is the ultimate weapon. The very form of differentiation arises through the imbalance in information dissemination. Thats why even in tamil, there is a popular saying - "Kannal paarpadhum poi, kaadhal ketpadhum poi. Theera visarippade mei!" ( What your eyes see are false, what your ears hear are false, reasearch only will lead to the truth). So before we judge and form opinions we need to go beyond our initial inputs from the senses to get the true picture. After all, how was it decided that if an unbiased coin was tossed, the head and the tail have an equal chance of apperaing? There were several attempts, and exhaustive testing and verification.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home